I love Indian food! It's pretty damn amazing what comes out when you mix a bunch of spices! This chicken curry is the school example of comfort food, accompanied with some grilled cauliflower which I have seasoned with some turmeric. Because this curry can be spicy, I also made some kachumber, which sounds fancy but is just a small salad made out of cucumber, tomatoes, onion and lemonjuice. Easy as can be! The list of ingredients might seem large, but this curry is so worth it!
Tip: not a fan of cilantro? Don't use the leaves and I promiss you won't taste it!
- Fry all the spices from the first three ingredients on the list on a low fire until fragrant. Let cool down and grind in a spice grinder or with pestle and mortar.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and grill on high heat to get some nice colouring on the sided. Take out of the pan and set aside.
- In a blender, add the onion, garlic, chilis, ginger and stalks of the cilantro and mix until a paste forms. Fry in 2 tbs of sunflower oil for 2 minutes but don't let it caramelize.
- Add the curry leaves, currypowder, tomato passata, coconut milk and the spice mixture. Mix together. Then add the stock and chicken and cook on a low fire for 25 minutes.
- For the kachumber: mix together all the ingredients and set aside.
- Meanwhile sprinkle some olive oil on the cauliflower and season with the turmeric. Grill on 220 degrees for 20 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Fill bowl with the curry, cauliflower and add a big spoonful greek yoghurt. Eat together with the kachumber. Enjoy!
RECIPE (4 persons)
- 2 ts of the following dried spices: cumin, cilantro and fenugreek seed
- 2 ts turmeric
- 1 ts fennel seed
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 to 3 green chilis, chopped
- 15gr cilantro, stalks and leaves seperated
- 3 to 4 cm ginger, peeled with the back of a spoon
- 600gr chicken thighs, in chunks
- 1 tbs curry powder and ¼ ts chili powder
- 20 dried curry leaves
- 400 gr tomato passata, canned
- 400 ml coconut milk
- Chicken stock
- ½ cauliflower, in chunks
- 1 ts turmeric
- Greek yoghurt
- Naan bread, prepared according to package
- 2 large tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 1 tbs lemon juice