This is defenitely an impress-your-friends-kinda-dish! And my all time favorite way to eat carrots, I can easily eat 20 of these. The process of the caramelization make them crunchy and sweet on the outside and soft on the inside. Together with the pistachio it's so delicious!
Tip: substitute the chicen for a duck breast and you are ready for christmas!
RECIPE (2 persons)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 12 carrots, peeled
- 500gr butternut (Dutch: flespompoen)
- 1 cube chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf (Dutch: laurier)
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs thyme leaves
- Handful of pistachios
- If you bought some big carrots, cut them lengthwise to reduce the cooking time.
- Peel the pumpkin, slice it in half, scoop out the seeds and strings and cut into cubes. You need around half a butternut, or just buy a bag of already peeled pumpkin cubes. Cook the cubes in boiling water for 7-10 minutes. Add the bay leaf and chicken stock. When done, take out the leaf, mash up and set aside.
- Place the carrots in a large skillet and cover them with water on high heat. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile grill the chicken breast in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill on high heat to get a nice crust, which will take 3 minutes per side. Reduce heat until cooked, in 10 minutes. Flip regularly.
- If the water hasn't fully evaporated yet, get rid of the water in your skillet. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, thyme and drizzle the honey onto the carrots. Grill them until caramelized on both sides.
- Crush the pistachios and sprinkle on the carrots. Enjoy!