The smell that will come out of your kitchen when this casserole is baking is absolutely amazing! Spicy tomato sauce combined with soft eggplant and the amazing umami flavor of the parmesan-rosemary crumble. It all just works so well together, and besides that it's super foolproof, it's also a great source for getting your daily vegetables.
For the crumble you can use panko, breadcrumbs or just plain crackers as I did. Personally I love to have some big chunks in there that will crisp up nicely when you spray a little olive oil on top.
RECIPE (2 persons)
- 2 eggplants, cut in big chunks
- 1 can of peeled tomatoes (San Marino)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 ts chili flakes
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves picked
- 2 crackers
- 2 tbs Parmesan
- 1ts Italian dried herbs
- Season the chicken with pepper and salt and sear in a frying pan for about 3 min per side until you get some nice browning. Set aside.
- Meanwhile mix the tomatoes, chili flakes and garlic into a smooth sauce. Pour the sauce in a big baking tray. Place the chicken in the sauce.
- In 3 tbs of olive oil (use the same pan), fry the chunks of eggplant until they have a dark brown sear on the flesh (around 4 min per side). If the pan is not big enough, work in batches. Put the chunks of eggplant on top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle some chopped rosemary on the casserole.
- Crush the crackers and mix with the Parmesan and herbs until you have a nice crumble. Sprinkle it on the eggplant and spray some olive oil on the crumble.
- Bake for 20 min at 200°C. Enjoy!