I always use fresh herbs whenever I can in my meals, simply because the flavor is so much stronger and better. The leftovers I use to make this risotto to give it a nice and earthy flavor. In this recipe I have used rosemary and thyme, but you can also add herbs like sage, basil, parsley or chives. Great way of using those bits and pieces you have left in the fridge!
Tip: you can fry the pancetta but I like to add it just like this because I think the flavour is in the fat and I don't want to lose that!
RECIPE (2 persons)
- 150gr risotto rice
- 80gr pancetta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves chopped
- 500gr mushrooms (cepes), sliced
- 1l chicken or mushroom broth
- 75ml white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 350gr green asparagus
- Fry the onion and garlic in a big pot with olive oil or butter for 3 min. Add the rice and fry until translucent. Stir in the wine until fully absorbed.
- Keep adding ladlefuls of stock, allow each quantity of broth to be fully absorbed until you add the next one.
- Meanwhile grill the mushrooms and set aside. Also grill the asparagus for 5 min after you've cooked them for 3 min in boiling water.
- The cooking of the rice takes about 15 to 20 min. It should stil have a bite, so taste of the rice is cooked now and then.
- Once ready, add the herbs and stir in around 40gr of Parmesan.
- Plate with the mushrooms, pancetta and asparagus. Enjoy!